Friday, July 23, 2010

Roots of Desire

'Roots of Desire' is the first solo show in my virtual gallery. This is a blog/gallery created towards familiarizing the works of young and upcoming artists who often do not get a gallery to exhibit. My experience has been this that a majority of the artists are not given a chance to exhibit in the galleries. They say, "This is not our kind of works." Once the same artist becomes established in some way, the same galleries that once turned him down flock behind him. This situation cannot be avoided, if one wants to be a 'gallery' artist.

JohnyML's Gallery does not claim to play the role of a gallery. It is my personal attempt to showcase the works that catch my attention outside the gallery circuit. This space is not just about conventional mediums of art. It is about all forms including the innovative kind of art. I am afraid of using the word cutting edge. There is a sort of curatorial effort involved in it though I want to keep that part quite understated for the time being. I don't stick to any kind of periodicity. As and when I feel it is important to show a set of works, I do it here.

In 'Roots of Desire', I introduce, Jagesh Edakkad, a young artist hailing from Kerala. He is a post graduate from the RLV College, Thrippunithura.





(untitled, Dry pastel on paper, 2.5' x 1.5')


(untitled, Dry pastel on paper, 2.5' x 1.5')


(untitled, Dry pastel on paper, 2.5' x 1.5')


(Untitled, Dry pastel on paper 4' x 2.5')


(untitled, Dry pastel on paper, 2.5' x 1.5')


(Untitled, Acrylic on canvas, 6' x 4', 2009)

10 comments:

  1. Very nice works. Bravo
    Gogi Saroj Pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. thought provoking, beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Gogi ji and Smeetha...

    jml

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting works, very strong imagery. Brilliant initiative, Johny. Congratulations and all the very best. Sandhya Bordewekar, Baroda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Johnyml,

    This artist says age old facts, with 2 very new twists in the first two pastels on paper. hv. tride posting my comment on three occasions. Hope it uploads this time. regards, Sudipta

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very wonderful initiative JML. This blog caught my attention only today. Dont stop this and introduce many young artists.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JML,
    Although I have heard about you, This is the first time I write to you.I am just overwhelmed by the kind of stuff you are doing to promote art.
    Let me share with u a recent incident I have experienced. A renowned Art Gallery in New York after inviting my detailed portfolio along with 10 images of my paintings and having been considered by a team of curators, selected me for Gallery Representation.But the said representation being very costly as per Indian standard and since they are not inclined to any plausible alternative terms such as recovery
    of the representation fees from the sales proceeds of the paintings, I am now thinking of turning down the offer.
    My profile is available at www.artofsomji.com You may also browse thru wikipedia to find more details about me.
    Looking forward to your support and cooperation.
    K.A.Soman (Artist Somji)

    ReplyDelete